What that really means is to look effortless, comfortable without compromising their sense of style. Effortless is style that isn’t brash or impudent.
Here are some of my tips on achieving this.
- One of my favorite ways to get this look is by pairing fitted with loose. Try a slightly oversized T-shirt, blouse or sweater with skinny jeans. Or flip things around with a fitted bodysuit paired with a pleated skirt.
- Your “fitted” piece is more about tailoring. Clothes should never “pull” or make you fidget. So, make sure the item that shows off your silhouette is well tailored to your frame. Try a high-waisted pencil skirt with a comfy cashmere sweater. Give a hint of your waistline (or visually slim it!) with a top that hits around the waist and isn’t too long. Another option is to pair a darted blouse and a wide-leg pant.
- Wearing loose items from head to toe can look sloppy. (Models do this on the runway, but it’s not a realistic look for us women who are all shapes and sizes).
- Use classic pieces as your main starting point and build from there with color, print or texture. For example, if your blouse has a pattern or you’ve chosen a cable knit sweater, then it becomes the focal point of your outfit. You may not need heavy statement accessories for this look.
- Speaking of accessories… they can really add to a minimal outfit. A skinny pant with a loose T-shirt instantly looks more stylish with layered necklaces or bracelets or why not a leopard print pump? Consider a scarf, a metallic shoe and/or a cute winter hat.
- One of my favorite looks is a crisp blouse with skinny jeans or a pencil skirt, add a fabulous pump and a stylish bag and voila! Allow yourself to move in it. Undo a couple of buttons, roll up the cuff of your sleeves for that more relaxed look while maintaining that polished style.
- Your hair does not need to be overdone but should look like you care. Clean, whipped up or pulled behind your ears can look elegant without looking stiff. Unless it’s a special occasion, go for flexible-hold hairspray so that you can comb your fingers through it.
- The secret weapon for effortless style is to be comfortable without over thinking it – still showing you care about how you look. Wear your clothes – don’t let them wear you.